Historical Thinking and Skills
1. Events in local history can be shown on timelines organized by years, decades and centuries.
3. Local communities change over time.
Spatial Thinking and Skills
Places and Regions
5. Daily life is influenced by the agriculture, industry and natural resources in different communities.
8. Communities may include diverse cultural groups.
Civic Participation and Skills
9. Members of local communities have social and political responsibilities.
10. Individuals make their community a better place by solving problems in a way that promotes the common good.
Rules and Laws
11. Laws are rules which apply to all people in a community and describe the ways people are expected to behave. Laws promote order and security, provide public services and protect the rights of individuals in the local community.
Roles and Systems of Government
12. Governments have authority to make and enforce laws.
13. The structure of local governments may differ from one community to another.
Economic Decision Making and Skills
14. Line graphs are used to show changes in data over time.
15. Both positive and negative incentives affect people’s choices and behaviors.
16. Individuals must make decisions because of the scarcity of resources. Making a decision involved an opportunity cost, the value of the next best alternative given up when an economic choice is made.
Production and Consumption
19. Making decisions involves weighing costs and benefits.
20. A budget is a plan to help people make personal economic decisions for the present and future and to become more financially responsible.